About Veterans Treatment Court
The Veterans Treatment Court utilizes a non-adversarial, team approach to providing services and supports to veterans facing non-violent felony charges. This treatment modality strives to prevent recidivism and promote accountability and recovery by diverting participants through a multi-phase recovery/treatment program. Completion of the program awards participants a dismissal of their charges (1 year after graduation), pending continued recovery and probationary compliance.
Buncombe County is now on the cutting edge of recovery-based diversion court programs and serves as an example for criminal justice reform.
The VTC is a post-plea court that requires:
- Up to 18-months of probationary supervision
- Commitment to treatment
- Residence in Buncombe County
- 1-day of active duty (non-training) service
- Abstinence from substances
- Compliance with all VTC policies/protocols